Individuals who wish to straighten their teeth using Invisalign clear aligners can anticipate seeing results within weeks … however, the severity of the malocclusion may dictate results noticed by the patient. Invisalign aligners will be updated every couple of weeks so with each new aligner teeth will have been gently moved.
Straightening teeth using Invisalign involves many steps:
- The patient consults with their dentist to determine if their malocclusion qualifies for straightening their teeth with Invisalign. Dental x-rays, photographs, and impressions will be taken for diagnostic purposes.
- Once eligibility is verified, the diagnostic tools taken at the consultation will be sent to the Invisalign laboratory where technicians will utilize 3-D digital technology to fabricate the aligners that will ultimately move teeth to their correct position.
- The aligners are made from clear plastic which is advantageous making aligners:
- Transparent – Teeth can be straightened without having to wear bulky, metal bands and brackets. Correcting your malocclusion can be done with virtual invisibility.
- Comfortable – Invisalign aligners do not contain metal or wires eliminating abrasions to soft tissues in your mouth.
- Removable – The ability to brush and floss daily is made simpler because the aligners can be taken out for the daily hygiene regimen. In addition to maintaining oral health, Invisalign wearers can eat all the foods they love. Simply take the aligners out for meals and snacks, and replace immediately after.
- Dentist visits for periodic exams will be needed throughout treatment to make sure the straightening process is staying on track. It is important to know that these check-ups do not take the place of visits needed every six months for a cleaning and exam to check for dental decay. These semi-annual visits are much easier with removable aligners in keeping plaque build-up in check.
- Once treatment is completed, the patient will be required to wear a retainer. This allows teeth to develop a “memory” of where teeth are located. Failure to follow this important step can allow teeth to return to their incorrect position.
Straightening teeth with Invisalign requires the aligners be worn twenty to twenty-two hours every day. Failure to do so can delay treatment progress possibly interfering with the final outcome.
Results and investment are comparable to other forms of treatment, but the advantages of Invisalign clear aligners make it the optimum choice.
Contact our experienced dental office at 972-458-2464 for more information about Invisalign today.