For most patients, the recommended time frame for having teeth professionally cleaned is every six months. However, this does not pertain to everyone. Individuals who have experienced periodontal disease or issues with gingivitis should consider shortening this time frame to every three or four months. Affordable dentistry makes your dental needs achievable.
At the standard hygiene visit, the patient will receive a thorough cleaning. This includes the removal of plaque build-up, polishing of dental enamel, and flossing. Once per year bitewing x-rays are recommended as a diagnostic tool for the dentist. Every five years, a full set of x-rays is advised.
For most patients, the recommended time frame for having teeth professionally cleaned is every six months.
In between those needed dental appointments oral health can be enhanced by following a few simple suggestions:
- Floss daily – Flossing helps to prevent plaque build-up particularly around the gum line where gingivitis and periodontal disease most often get their start.
- Brush – Teeth should be brushed a minimum of twice per day with a tooth paste or gel. Brushing after each meal and snack would be optimum.
- Lifestyle habits – Smoking and tobacco use are known to be a leading cause for gum disease and tooth loss. Discontinuing their use is urgently advised.
- Diet – A healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables is best. But along with eating healthy foods, limiting sugary snacks and beverages will contribute to better dental health.
- Rest – Sufficient rest is crucial to dental health, as well as overall health.
Individuals who believe they can do a sufficient job on their own are mistaken. Plaque forms on teeth when residual food and sugar are left on teeth. And it does not take long for plaque to harden. Once plaque gets a foothold, it continues to grow.
The only way to eliminate plaque build-up is with a professional cleaning. And no matter how thoroughly you believe you brush and floss, it is difficult to remove everything especially in areas of the mouth that are difficult to reach. These include spots where teeth may be a little crooked providing an ideal place for bacteria to grow.
Affordable dentistry provides an excellent choice for patients to maintain optimum dental health. Doing all the things you can personally do to care for your teeth is critical, but making and keeping consistent hygiene appointments with our experienced dental team will supplement your efforts to keep teeth and gum tissue healthy for life.