25 Jun Benefits of Biological Dentistry
There are many different beliefs and philosophical theories regarding dentistry and the various treatments available in dental offices today. a biological dentist tries to fuse common sense and holistic principles to arrive at a solution that provides the patient with the information needed to make the best dental choices for their needs.
Over many years the biological dental field has questioned many aspects of dentistry. In an effort to make a connection with overall health to dental health, questions have been addressed in areas of nutrition, the immune system and central nervous system.
Biological dentistry studies what has worked in other fields of medicine and tries to bring those ideas into the world of dentistry.
- Nutrition: A well balanced diet serves the body well; teeth require many minerals and nutrients to prevent dental decay, bone loss and preserve healthy gum tissue.
- Toxicity: When tooth decay does occur, placing dental amalgam, which contains mercury, in the tooth serves no useful purpose when there are perfect alternatives that do not pose any threat to the health of the patient. If you doubt whether or not dental amalgam is safe, ask your dental professional how they must handle this “toxic waste” after it is removed from your mouth.
- Optional Materials: There are dental materials that have been deemed safe, and when placed correctly will actually strengthen the repaired tooth. This material is made of a composite resin and is colored to match the tooth making the repair virtually undetectable.
- Dental procedure alternatives: A biological dentist will generally do a thorough examination and be able to offer alternatives that are safer and less costly. But the patient must understand the process requires a commitment to healthy nutrition, daily flossing and brushing.
- Biological dentistry is working to resolve dental maladies without resorting to the chemicals found in dental amalgam, nickel and even those found in some mouth rinses and tooth paste.
Dental professionals that practice biological dentistry generally deviate from standard dental practices. For patients that are seeking an alternative solution to care for their dental health, this practice will offer an approach that will educate the patient that the mouth is an important and critical part of the body.
The patient will learn that proper nutrition and the need to make adjustments in diet and lifestyle choices will enhance overall health improving their chances for excellent dental health.
For more information and to schedule an exam or consultation, call our Dallas Texas office at 972-458-2464.